Under Maintenance

We deeply apologize for interrupting your reading but Vendetta is currently undergoing some important maintenance! You may experience some layout shifts, slow loading times and dififculties in navigating.

Sports Media

PENN Entertainment Completes Buyout of Barstool Sports

Penn Entertainment
(Barstool Sports Logo)

PENN Entertainment Completes Buyout of Barstool Sports

PENN Entertainment has completed their buyout of Barstool Sports in a move that has been anticipated since last August. Back in 2020, PENN (as Penn National Gaming) purchased 36% of the media company for $163 million. They are purchasing the remaining 64% for $388 million.

PENN CEO and President Jay Snowden released a statement that read in part:

“Today, we significantly bolstered our digital sports, gaming and entertainment portfolio with the closing of our acquisition of Barstool Sports. Barstool has been a great partner over the last three years and I’m thrilled to fully welcome the Barstool team into the PENN Entertainment family.”

The full statement is available below.

PENN’s original deal with Barstool resulted in the creation of the Barstool Sportsbook, a venture which expanded the brand’s influence.

For his remaining stake in the company, Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy will end up pocketing around $89 million. After starting Barstool in 2003 by passing out papers in the Boston subway, that’s not a bad payday at all. He released a statement, which said: “Barstool Sports is bigger than ever and has become more than I ever dreamed of. I’m very thankful to the Barstool team and Stoolies who have been along for the ride. I’m looking forward to this next chapter with Penn.”

PENN Entertainment’s latest acquisition continues their expansion after previously buying out Canadian media company theScore for $2 billion. They are looking to become a one-stop shop for sports gambling and entertainment.

Barstool’s Big Personalities Thank Fans for Support

Barstool’s pillar personalities put out tweets thanking fans for their support over the years. Portnoy, Dan “Big Cat” Katz, and Kevin “KFC” Clancy all had thanks to offer.

Since the announcement, Portnoy has assured Barstool fans that the content will continue essentially unchanged.

***

SUBSCRIBE to the Vendetta YouTube Channel!

SHOP for Vendetta Merch!

SUPPORT Vendetta on Patreon!

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Popular Past Stories

recommended stories

Jalen Brunson

Jalen Brunson signs four-year, $157 million extension with Knicks

Jalen Brunson signs four-year, $157 million extension with Knicks Jalen Brunson has agreed to a four-year, $157 million extension with…

Read More
Angel Reese

What Will It Take For Angel Reese To Win Rookie of the Year?

What Will It Take For Angel Reese To Win Rookie of the Year? There’s no question who the top two…

Read More
UFC Denver Preview Predictions

UFC Denver Best Bets

UFC Denver Best Bets The UFC is heading to Mile High City for a fight night event. The card does…

Read More
Whit Merrifield

Whit Merrifield Released By the Phillies

Whit Merrifield Released By the Phillies Deadlines spur action in sports, and the summer is always a time of reckoning…

Read More